Tsandra Rinchen Drak
Palpung, Derge, Kham, Tibet
In 1857, the Fire Serpent year, Terchen Chogyur Dechen Lingpa confirmed that Tsandra Rinchen Drak where Lodro Thaye had his hermitage, Kunzang Dechen Osel Ling, was one of twenty-five major sacred places of Eastern Tibet. In accordance with an earlier prophecy, Lodro Thaye then established a Protector Temple and a retreat place for the practice of the inner tantras of Shangpa Kagyu lineage there. The activities that evolved continued smoothly throughout the lifetimes of the First and Second Jamgon Kongtrul Rinpoches until the 1950s when stirring political changes in Tibet ended them abruptly. The Temples and buildings gradually fell into disrepair. In 1984, the Third Jamgon Kongtrul Rinpoche visited Tsandra Rinchen Drak for the first time and reignited the yearning to re-establish the activities. Work began soon after to rebuild the Temple and retreat centre. After a gap of almost 30 years, the Shangpa Kagyu retreat resumed in 1986 under Drupon Lama Karma Wangyal and continues today under Venerable Drupon Lama Yargye. The Lineage Temple dedicated by the Second Jamgon Kongtrul Rinpoche to the 15th Karmapa and Lodro Thaye was rebuilt in 2006. Later, upon the advice of the 12th Kenting Tai Situ Rinpoche, a small Temple was built on the original site of Lodro Thaye’s hermitage.